Saturday, December 4, 2010

Colder Boulder

Today, I ran my first ever 5K race.

I was so nervous! I was calling the event "Death by 5K." I had been planning on running it for about a month, but I didn't register for the race until December 2nd (two days before the race). I was bib #1983. I WAS SO BUMMED!! One person later and I would have been bib #birth-year!! AH! I did see the man wearing #1984, I wanted to go ask him to trade but I practiced some self-control... I did not practice self-control when I saw a fellow Hokie. :)

Anyway, it was COLD. I suppose that's to be expected, based on the name of the race. I started out pretty well. After the first mile I was feeling pretty good. Then I saw that I was going to get to run up-hill for a little bit, I wasn't excited so I decided to get behind someone so I wouldn't race myself up the hill. When I hit the second mile marker I started to get a cramp in my right side; but I told myself "you are over 2/3rds of the way there, you don't need to walk, you can do it." I started to focus on my breathing and felt better. Probably 2-tenths of a mile before the 3 mile marker, I felt good enough to speed up a little. 3rd mile marker came and then I passed a women who was cheering for all the runners, that made me smile, I appreciated her more than she realizes. I actually think I slowed down when I got into the field house, I was a bit uncomfortable with all the people that were in there watching for their friends and seeing me. (haha).

Basically, I rocked it. My friends Colleen and Kim also rocked it! It was so so good.

additional information about me...