Friday, April 2, 2010

Job Search: Done.

As I was in the middle of my job search, my dad and I had this conversation about "wants" versus "needs" for my next position in Residence Life. He was quick to say, "while staying in Colorado is a want, Susan, it is not a need." It's true, being in Colorado is not a need, currently location is not a need for me. I think for most people location is a need when they're in a romantic relationship, which I am not, as much as Cindi is trying to remedy that (that's another story, haha).

Well, yesterday, April 1st. And this is not an April Fool's joke. I got what I wanted. I was offered, and accepted, a Hall Director position at the University of Northern Colorado! How it all happened is actually quite a funny story...

At about 2:10 p.m. yesterday, I was in a 1:1 with Nick, my cell phone rang and I happened to see the phone number. Area code: 703. Which means I knew instantly it was a (Virginia) school calling. Nick's 1:1 ended around 2:30 p.m. and the next few minutes went as follows:

2:35 p.m.: Return phone call to Area Code: 703 school, was offered an on-campus interview. It would happen one day over the next 2 weeks, today they were confirming I wanted to visit and where I would need to fly in from. Tomorrow they were going to call and talk about logistics with me.

2:36 p.m.: text message a friend in Area Code: 703 and let them know I would be in town in the next 2 weeks, and to get excited.
2:36 p.m.: Call Amanda Paez (Area Code: 757) to tell her where I got an interview. She responded with great joy that "yay! you might move back to EST!"

2:42 p.m.: Phone call from Area Code: 970 (Colorado). Now the phone ringing caused quite a reaction from me, my heart started racing, I ran from the printer at the front desk back to my office to answer, I did my very best to calm myself down but when someone offers you a job it's a bit too exciting to not be completely freaking out. So I, of course, accept. It's the job I want after all. The conversation was actually quite hilarious. I said to Chris, "I was really hoping you were going to call on Monday cause this would be a great birthday present!" He thought I meant the Monday earlier in the week, laughed and said, "Sorry, we couldn't make our decision that early." So I responded, "oh no, I mean Monday is 2, 3, 4... the Monday next week." (clearly my brain had stopped working and I couldn't do the math of Thursday to Monday is 4 days.) Then, just to clarify, I said "and this isn't an april fool's joke, right?" He laughed again and said "oh my gosh, I didn't even realize the date, nope not an april fool's joke." (Thank goodness!)

2:46 p.m.: Call Devin to be like "um, that wasn't bad, right? I should easily be able to cancel the 703 interview, right?" She gives my some vocabulary to use, and thank goodness I was so excited I don't think I spoke in coherent sentences the rest of the day.

2:52 pm.: "Hi, so I'm in an interesting job search situation and I'm hoping that you haven't purchased an airline ticket yet... (nope). I had an on-campus interview last week and they just called to offer my a position, I'm going to accept it, so I'm sorry but I have to decline an on-campus interview at your school." The lady congratulated me and asked where I would be headed. I told her, Northern Colorado. I had just told her 10 minutes earlier I was in Denver, so she said, "that's great, you'll get to stay close to home... (I laughed and I think she realized she had called and I had returned her call via my 757 cell number, prompting)... well, is Colorado home for you?" I said, "no, actually Virginia Beach is home." To which she laughed and said, "well that sounds great anyway." I thanked her for her help with everything and hung up.

I think I bounced around my office and my apartment for the next two hours before taking myself to the gym for probably the best workout I've had since I got my boot off.

1 comment:

Michael Shibley said...

Congratulations on the job Susan!

additional information about me...