I was eating lunch today with Stuart, my favorite professor from my undergraduate education. (Photo: from my graduation, I called him to come out drinking to celebrate, and he's awesome so he did... he took me out drinking on my 21st birthday too!)
Stuart was my professor for Intro to Service (spring 05), Business Policy and Strategy (fall 06) and Life (since spring 05). He has taught me so much about myself in the last few years... it's amazing, he knows how to ask the right questions and how to push me to be successful. So when Stuart talks, I tend to listen. That doesn't mean I always agree, but it does mean I listen and consider his thoughts.
So we were talking, catching up, sharing stories... and somehow politics came up... so I had to admit that I can not get myself interested in politics. I just can't do it, I've tried, but I just can't find it interesting.
Of course, we had an "educational moment" after that. (haha) He said something like "consider that democracy only works when the people being governed are making thought-out, educated decisions about the future of their country , otherwise the country suffers... so use your brain to make educated decisions about the future." I don't think that's an accurate quote, but it's what I took from the conversation.
I always planned on doing the appropriate research to decide who I'll vote for this fall, but now it's kind of like a challenge. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment