Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Water, Water, Everywhere... except in places for me to live!

So water has not been my friend as of late. This story is kind of funny now… yesterday, not so much.

Due to an upcoming renovation project they needed to shut off the water to the building I have lived in since last July. So I was asked to move into a temporary space until I finish my job next week, no big deal, it’s a week. Small problem—they’re doing a hot water shutdown of half of campus and I’ll need to shower in another building. Also, not a big deal, just as long as I get to shower.

Before we go further, let’s jump back to my original building. My office is also in this building, along with several other people’s offices. With no facilities available during the day, we’re all working on dehydration, scoping out all the close restrooms in surrounding buildings… and did I mention bladder infections? We’re working on those too.

So everything is going great the first night—amazingly comfortable bed, shower with hot water before the shutdown, a working (non-public) toilet. [I’d insert something here about my public bathroom anxiety but I don’t know that you want all that detail. Just know that I hate using public facilities, I am just more comfortable at home.]

Day two rolls around.. bladder infection coming along nicely while at work, dehydration going well, checked out the business services bathroom (very nice!)… then it’s time to head home for the day….

My sister joins me and needs to use the little girl’s room almost instantly. So she goes in and does her business, flushes and notices that the toilet is not refilling, she tries to flush again... no suction towards the ocean (all drains lead to the ocean, if you learned nothing else from nemo, please tell me you at least learned that)…

Now, let’s not panic- we are problem solvers! We’ll just fill the back of the toilet with water from the tap and it will work again. (Suz to kitchen to get something to fill from kitchen sink, Sis trying bathroom sink….)
Sis: Hey Suz, the water isn’t working
Suz: I know, that’s why we’re going to fill the back
Sis: No, I mean the sink water isn’t working...
Suz: what? (tries kitchen sink and nothing happens)

So then I called the person who assigned me to the space and say “Hi, I don’t have any water.” They are very confused and start to do a little fact finding… it will turn out that no one will know why I didn’t have water.

Long story short, because this is getting to be a very long story…

I almost start crying at the thought of not having a non-public bathroom to use. [Insert bathroom anxiety issues.] And then the decision is made that I will be sleeping in the extra bedroom at another staff member’s house. Thankfully their family was inviting and wonderful.

Today after work and baseball, I am comfortably staying in my temporary space with a working toilet! YAY!!!

You may laugh now.

5 comments:

Michael Sherbak said...

Cool blog Susan

Michael Sherbak said...

I will link you my other blogspot

Mike Sherbak said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike Sherbak said...

Here you go Susan
http://maine-central-rr.blogspot.com/

Heading to dinner at the Naked Turtle in Plattsburgh NY

Dan said...

funny shit susan :)

additional information about me...